Established in 2009, the Testing Center has been entrusted with the task of preparing and providing assessment instruments for the College of Open and Distance Learning (CODL), assisting the conventional mode of learning in the development and administration of up-to-standard assessment tools, and providing training and services in measurement and evaluation, and pedagogy so as to help enhance the quality of teaching-learning. The Center also provides different placement and recruitment tests for local and international organizations.
The Testing Center has four units under it: Exam Preparation Unit, Computerized Marking and Grading Unit, Exam Administration Unit, and International Testing Unit.
The major duties and responsibilities of the Testing Center include:
- Preparing standard term assignments and exams for College of Open and Distance Learning;
- Assisting in the preparation of up-to-standard semester exam items for the Regular Program;
- Preparing and administering special purpose (screening) tests used for such purposes as employment and placement to off-campus customers (Organizations, Institutions, Governmental bodies, etc.);
- Giving training on educational measurement and evaluation and related pedagogical problems to academic staff of the University, and others upon request;
- Preparing and administering Comprehensive Degree Exit Exams, and Entrance Exams for CODL and the Regular Program;
- Administering international tests such as Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL-iBT); Graduate Record Exam (GRE); Chartered Institute for Securities and Investment (CISI); Praxis Administration and Aptitude tests;
- Conducting research on problems of assessment and pedagogy;
- Assisting in the overall assessment at the University from norm-referenced to criterion-referenced assessment;
- Preparing different articles on education and assessment and distributing them to the concerned stakeholders;
- Engaging in tutorial programs, preparation of term-end exams, and invigilation of SMU graduate, undergraduate and CODL programs;
- Assisting Kidist Mariam Elementary School in the preparation of exams and provision of pedagogical trainings;
- Conducting item analysis and trend evaluation of course exam items and giving feedback reports to the concerned academic bodies; and
- Participating in community outreach programs.
* Some of the test services provided by the TC for employment/placement are in the following areas.
● Finance Management
● Finance Officer
● Marketing Management
● English Language
● Public Relations
● Accounting Clerk
● Personnel Management
● Human Resource Management
● Business Administration
● Project Management
● Risk Management
● Procurement and Supply Chain Management
● Tourism & Hospitality Management
● Archives Management
● Customer Service
● Database Management
● Computer Programming
● Software Engineering
● Computer Networking
● General Aptitude
* TOEFL, Internet-Based Test, GRE, Praxis and CISI (Chartered Institute and for Security and Investment) exam administration services and different foreign higher education institutions’ course tests are provided at SMU TOEFL- iBT Center housed in the School of Graduate Studies..
St. Mary’s University is a pioneer in Ethiopia in providing internet-based tests in TOEFL and GRE. The unit responsible for this service is located at the third floor of the Main Campus behind Ethiopian Petroleum Enterprise, three hundred meters below the Federal Police Headquarters at Mexico Square. Registration takes place online at www.ets.org/toefl.
For further enquiry about any of the services indicated above, the Testing Center is ready to provide detailed information and assistance to customers.
Tel: +251 11 551 0991 or +252 91 325 0579
Working hard to deliver better quality services, we are guided by the motto: “GOOD IS NOT ENOUGH, WHEN BETTER IS EXPECTED!”